Skip to main content

SMS sender scheme expanded

The Office of the Communications Authority (OFCA) announced today that the SMS Sender Registration Scheme is now open for application by all sectors to further help the public verify the identities of SMS senders, with a view to combatting SMS fraud.   Apart from further opening up the scheme, the OFCA said it welcomes public and private organisations from various industries with a practical need to communicate with customers or clients via SMS to join the scheme.   Under the scheme, only registered senders are able to send SMS messages using their registered SMS sender IDs with the prefix “#”. All other SMS messages with sender IDs containing “#” but not sent by registered senders will be blocked by the telecommunications networks.   As such, the public can easily identify whether an SMS message is received from a registered sender by the prefix “#” in the SMS sender ID.   The OFCA reminds citizens to stay highly vigilant when receiving SMS messages from unknown sender

2 restricted areas set

The Government today made restriction-testing declarations to require people within two specified restricted areas in Central & Western District to stay in their premises and undergo compulsory testing for COVID-19.   The first restricted area includes Towers 1 to 5, Dynasty Court, 23 Old Peak Road and the second restricted area includes Blocks A and B, Kingsfield Tower, 64-68 Pok Fu Lam Road / 73-83 Bonham Road, Fung Lam Building, 35-37 Pok Fu Lam Road, Tung Ming Court, 39 Pok Fu Lam Road, Lee Wai Building, 41-43 Pok Fu Lam Road and 63 Pok Fu Lam Road.   As confirmed cases or sewage samples positive with COVID-19 were found in these buildings, the Government believes it is necessary to issue restriction-testing declarations for both areas.   The declarations for the two restricted areas took effect from 7pm.   Temporary specimen collection stations will be set up at the restricted areas. People in the first restricted area subject to compulsory testing will need to be tested by midnight while those in the second area need to undergo testing by 2am.   They will be arranged to undergo a nucleic acid test at specimen collection stations, where staff will collect samples through combined nasal and throat swabs.   The Government will arrange door-to-door specimen collection for people with impaired mobility and seniors.   It aims to finish both exercises by 7am on March 15.   Those in the first restricted area who have undergone testing from March 10 to 14 as well as people in the second area who have been tested from March 11 to 14 and can provide the SMS notification containing the test results are not required to be tested again.   They must stay in their premises until all people have been tested and the results are mostly ascertained.   Anyone who had been present in either area for more than two hours from March 1 to 14, even if they were not present in the restricted areas at the time the declaration took effect, must undergo compulsory testing before March 16.   The Government has prepared simple food and basic cleaning tools for the residents restricted by the declarations, and the Home Affairs Department has set up an enquiry hotline 2835 1473.   The Social Welfare Department will also assist those affected.
http://dlvr.it/RvcTRL

Popular posts from this blog

Legal officer changes proposed

The Government has proposed to amend the law to allow legal officers of the Department of Justice to be appointed as a senior counsel.   At a media session after attending a Legislative Council meeting today, Secretary for Justice Teresa Cheng explained the rationale behind the Government's proposal.   She said: “Why is it that my colleagues in the Department of Justice - who by their qualifications are solicitors but are actually arguing very well and very efficiently with great eloquence and efficacy in the Court of Final Appeal - are not being recognised when they are actually even better than their counterparts? That has always been something that sometimes troubles me.   “And for that reason, I have always been thinking about how we are going to overcome that problem.   “Now, what really triggers my determination to take this further forward is when one of our Deputy Directors of Public Prosecutions, Vinci Lam, took silk on May 29.   “That really showed that the form

Skewed remarks about NSL rejected

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government today said it strongly disapproved of and firmly rejected the wanton slanders and smears concerning the implementation of “one country, two systems” and the National Security Law (NSL) in Hong Kong by certain US and UK politicians.   In a statement issued tonight, the Hong Kong SAR Government noted that such slanders and smears were recently made through a statement by certain members of the US Senate on the 26th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to the motherland and the third anniversary of the implementation of the NSL, and by the House of Commons of the UK Parliament through a debate on the aforesaid third anniversary.   It said it strongly disapproves of and firmly rejects the unfounded remarks and slanders by the US and UK politicians regarding the Hong Kong SAR where “one country, two systems” is successfully implemented.   It also strongly urges the politicians to immediately stop acting against the international law and

CE to meet Congo president

Chief Executive John Lee will meet Democratic Republic of Congo President FĂ©lix-Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo at Government House tomorrow, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government announced today.   The Congo president is in the People’s Republic of China for a state visit and will arrive in Hong Kong for a two-day trip. http://dlvr.it/Spnmcs