Skip to main content

SMS sender scheme expanded

The Office of the Communications Authority (OFCA) announced today that the SMS Sender Registration Scheme is now open for application by all sectors to further help the public verify the identities of SMS senders, with a view to combatting SMS fraud.   Apart from further opening up the scheme, the OFCA said it welcomes public and private organisations from various industries with a practical need to communicate with customers or clients via SMS to join the scheme.   Under the scheme, only registered senders are able to send SMS messages using their registered SMS sender IDs with the prefix “#”. All other SMS messages with sender IDs containing “#” but not sent by registered senders will be blocked by the telecommunications networks.   As such, the public can easily identify whether an SMS message is received from a registered sender by the prefix “#” in the SMS sender ID.   The OFCA reminds citizens to stay highly vigilant when receiving SMS messages from unknown sender

2 unlinked COVID-19 cases found

The Centre for Health Protection today said it is investigating two additional local COVID-19 cases, both of which have unknown sources of infection.   The first case involves a 43-year-old Pakistani construction site worker who works at the Tseung Kwan O - Lam Tin Tunnel - Main Tunnel & Associated Works site.   He came back from Pakistan on March 16 and underwent quarantine at the Silka Far East Hotel Hong Kong in Tsuen Wan until April 5. Upon completion of quarantine, he stayed at his residence at Shek Wah House of Shek Lei (II) Estate in Kwai Chung.   The patient, who was asymptomatic, was tested at a community testing centre on May 9 and the result was negative. He underwent regular testing on May 23 and tested positive.   The other case involves a 37-year-old Filipina domestic helper who was asymptomatic.   She arrived from the Philippines on March 20 and underwent quarantine at the Ramada Hong Kong Grand View in North Point until April 10. She then went to stay at her employer's residence at Tai Tung Wo Liu Village in Sai Kung.   The patient was tested at a community testing centre on May 9 in accordance with the requirements of compulsory testing notices and her result was negative. On May 22, she underwent another test and the result was positive.   The test result by the Department of Health's Public Health Laboratory Services Branch revealed that the patient carried the N501Y mutant strain and the E484K mutant gene, but not the L452R mutant gene. She tested positive for antibodies after admission to hospital.   The patient said she went to the Immigration Department's Fo Tan Branch Office on April 30 and May 11, and to visit a relative's place at Block 8, Villa Oceania in Ma On Shan on May 9 and 16. She also went to Ma On Shan Park on May 1, 2 and 23.   People who had been to places visited by the two patients are required to undergo compulsory testing, the centre noted.   It has also arranged for the patients' close contacts to be sent to a quarantine centre. Epidemiological investigations and relevant contact tracing are ongoing.   Meanwhile, specified people in relation to Tower 6, Island Harbourview in Tai Kok Tsui are reminded to undergo compulsory testing on May 26. A mobile specimen collection station will be set up in the estate to provide free testing services.   Additionally, six schools are covered in the latest compulsory testing notice due to outbreaks of upper respiratory tract infection or influenza-like illness.   The Learning Habitat Kindergarten located at 1/F, The Sparkle in Cheung Sha Wan was removed from the compulsory testing notice on May 24 since it had been covered in another one on April 26.   A total of 23 cases were reported in the past 14 days, including six local cases, of which three have unknown infection sources, and one that is possibly a local case.   For information and health advice on COVID-19, visit the Government's dedicated webpage.
http://dlvr.it/S0Nm1c

Popular posts from this blog

Legal officer changes proposed

The Government has proposed to amend the law to allow legal officers of the Department of Justice to be appointed as a senior counsel.   At a media session after attending a Legislative Council meeting today, Secretary for Justice Teresa Cheng explained the rationale behind the Government's proposal.   She said: “Why is it that my colleagues in the Department of Justice - who by their qualifications are solicitors but are actually arguing very well and very efficiently with great eloquence and efficacy in the Court of Final Appeal - are not being recognised when they are actually even better than their counterparts? That has always been something that sometimes troubles me.   “And for that reason, I have always been thinking about how we are going to overcome that problem.   “Now, what really triggers my determination to take this further forward is when one of our Deputy Directors of Public Prosecutions, Vinci Lam, took silk on May 29.   “That really showed that the form

Skewed remarks about NSL rejected

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government today said it strongly disapproved of and firmly rejected the wanton slanders and smears concerning the implementation of “one country, two systems” and the National Security Law (NSL) in Hong Kong by certain US and UK politicians.   In a statement issued tonight, the Hong Kong SAR Government noted that such slanders and smears were recently made through a statement by certain members of the US Senate on the 26th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to the motherland and the third anniversary of the implementation of the NSL, and by the House of Commons of the UK Parliament through a debate on the aforesaid third anniversary.   It said it strongly disapproves of and firmly rejects the unfounded remarks and slanders by the US and UK politicians regarding the Hong Kong SAR where “one country, two systems” is successfully implemented.   It also strongly urges the politicians to immediately stop acting against the international law and

CE to meet Congo president

Chief Executive John Lee will meet Democratic Republic of Congo President FĂ©lix-Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo at Government House tomorrow, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government announced today.   The Congo president is in the People’s Republic of China for a state visit and will arrive in Hong Kong for a two-day trip. http://dlvr.it/Spnmcs